Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ka Ka Cookies



Cappuccino Flats

I have not made these in a while, but I think they are my favorite. I found the recipe decades ago in a cookie magazine, but I just found it on the interwebs so I cannot take any credit for this.

2 squares baking chocolate

2 cup flour

1 teaspoon cinnamon

¼ teaspoon salt

½ cup shortening

½ cup butter or margarine

½ cup sugar

½ cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon instant coffee

1 teaspoon water

1 egg

1 ½ cup semisweet chocolate pieces

3 tablespoon shortening

Melt chocolate and set aside to cool slightly. Mix flour, cinnamon and salt, set aside. Cream shortening, butter, sugars, instant coffee dissolved in the teaspoon of water, chocolate and egg. Mix well. Add flour mix. Chill one hour until it is not so sticky, then shape into two rolls about 7” long. (about the diameter of a fifty cent piece) Chill for six hours.

Slice rolls in to ¼ inch slices and bake at 350 degrees on ungreased cookie sheets for 10-12 minutes. Cool.

Melt chocolate chip pieces and shortening until melted. Dip ½ of each cookie and place on waxed paper until chocolate is set.






Chewy Coconut Ginger Cookies

Quick and easy to make. I updated this recipe by adding the half cup of chopped candied ginger. Son number one is of the opinion that the addition of dark chocolate chips would make them even better.

1 ¼ cups all purpose flour

½ teaspoon baking soda

¼ teaspoon salt

½ cup butter or margarine

½ cup packed brown sugar

½ cup white sugar

1 egg

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/3 cups flaked coconut

½ cup finely chopped candied ginger

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, cream the butter, brown and white sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually blend in flour mixture, then mix in coconut and ginger.

Drop dough in teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.

Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Cool on wire racks.


***

For more awesome cookie recipes check out these other cookie bloggers.


11 comments:

  1. waives hi!

    Your cookies sound really good...

    Hugs,
    mouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMmmmmmm. They look luscious. I'm going to try both.
    Oh, and son number one? EVERYTHING is better with Dark Chocolate!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two special treats. Thank you! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cappuccino Flats look and sound wonderful.
    -H

    ReplyDelete
  5. I espeically like the Cappiccino Flats. Coffee and Chocolate is such a wonderful combo!Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I make these I will seem sophisticated :)
    Thank you for sharing they will be awesome :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these sound like grown up cookies - maybe the kids will leave then alone and save them for us - yea, right. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those chocolate ones look absolutely yummy... I think I'm in trouble this year.

    Happy Holidays!

    turiya

    ReplyDelete
  9. these sound amazing! thanks :)

    Happy Yule!

    P.S. I've been doing some back reading (having just found your site and what not) and I think you should put up a warning about eating or drinking while reading :P I damn near choked on my egg wrap while reading so many times!!! the bit about the lawn mower and so many others lol loving the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These both look great, and would "plate" well...goin' in my recipe book for next Yule!

    Thanks Xantu!

    nilla

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for another two-fer! My hubby will LOVE the coffee and chocolate ones. The ginger coconut look great too. I've never even read about this combo, but what a great idea to put those flavors together. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete